vendredi, avril 01, 2005

Green fingers (and sore thumbs)

The very best thing about our house is the garden, now that it's spring and everything is coming into bloom. I thought it was a bit ropy because when we arrived mid-winter there were just loads of bare twigs and the lawn is bald in places where the heavy building stuff was dumped when the owners renovated the house (which really fucks a lawn). But actually it's been really nicely planted and is full of daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, dozens and dozens of gladioli, which I don't like very much in flower shops but they are rather beautiful growing in clumps, and there are two lovely fruit trees (I have no idea what we'll be harvesting in the autumn, but I do hope it's edible) covered in blossom. It's such a joy to wake up in the morning to birdsong and more buds. I'm beginning to understand my friend Lydia's passion for gardening, though I am far from putting in the effort she does on her Camberwell allotment. She grows different varieties of potato and garlic, soft fruits, tomatoes and lettuce and much else. She has four children, the latter pair two year old twins who are kept busy in the sandbox while the older two help with the harvest. I don't have either her energy or expertise, but I am inspired to have a go. One optimistic afternoon recently the children planted tomato, basil, nasturtiums and sunflower seeds and to my absolute astonishment they are all actually showing little seedlets. I don't know what to do next, that's the only problem. I have literally never done any gardening in my life more adventurous than planting petunias in a window box, and I'm sure there's more to growing tomatoes than that.

My thumb is still sore. I'm on another round of heavy medication. It's been over a month now. I have never been on medication for so long before. I swear there must be something in the water.